Start Podcasting

Friday, September 29, 2006

Finally, an iPod


Despite having had various mp3 players over the past couple of years, I've been without one - a working one anyway - for a few months now. Yesterday I finally got around to resolving this situation, with the purchase of an iPod Shuffle.

It was a great day indeed.

Why a Shuffle? In fact, why an iPod? This may seem a little odd, but I wanted something without a screen. The device's primary use was - and still is - to be listening to an audio podcast or audiobook when I just want to give my eyes a break. Sit back, close your eyes and take it all in. Beautiful.

The other criterion was that it be inexpensive. Although there are other players for the same price, they all appeared to try their hand at several things. Rather than risk a possible 'jack of all trades, master of none' situation I went straight for the only player I saw which performed one simple task well.


A brief note on the iPod: if you're just looking for an mp3 player to playback podcasts, any of them will do. Shop around. However, if you're looking for something simple, take a look at the Shuffle. Simple, elegant and functional.

 

Apple iTunes

2 Comments:

  • Did you get one of the new shuffles scott? You'll have to let me know how you like it.

    I on the other hand couldn't do without a screen...even though I'm not looking at it all the time. Love my iPod...now if Apple could just get their act together and get iTunes and Windows figured out!

    By Blogger Christian D., at October 01, 2006  

  • It's actually one of the previous models (they're pretty common now, and relatively inexpensive) and it's precisely what I was after.

    The absence of screen is something I was looking for - it means there's one less thing to distract you when you just want to get off the computer and close your eyes for a while.

    What's your major concern with iTunes and Windows?

    By Blogger Unknown, at October 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home